Noise-Cancelling Headphones for Autistic Children
Noise-cancelling headphones can be valuable for autistic children with sensory difficulties, particularly hypersensitivity to sound. These headphones can help minimise distractions and create a more soothing and focused environment for children on the autism spectrum. In this article, we will explore the benefits of noise-cancelling headphones for autistic children and provide recommendations for some suitable options available in the market.
Autistic children often experience sensory overload due to their hypersensitivity to sounds. Noise-cancelling headphones can effectively reduce the impact of external noises, such as background chatter or sudden loud sounds, helping children better regulate their sensory experiences.
By blocking out distracting noises, noise-cancelling headphones enable autistic children to concentrate on tasks or activities. This can be especially beneficial in educational settings or therapy sessions, allowing children to engage more effectively.
Autistic children may find certain sounds overwhelming or distressing. Noise-cancelling headphones create a peaceful auditory space, reducing anxiety and promoting safety and comfort.
With reduced background noise, autistic children can better process and understand verbal communication. This can facilitate improved social interactions, as they can focus on conversations and cues from others without being overwhelmed by extraneous sounds.
Consider headphones with a higher NRR, indicating better noise reduction capability. This is particularly important for children who are highly sensitive to sound.
Look for headphones designed for children, with adjustable headbands and soft padding. Ensuring that the headphones are comfortable for extended periods is crucial, as autistic children may use them throughout the day or even during sleep.
Choose headphones that are sturdy and well-built to withstand regular use. Additionally, ensure they meet safety standards for children, including non-toxic materials and appropriate design elements.
Opt for headphones that are easy for children to put on and remove independently. Consider features like foldability for portability and convenient storage.
- Lightweight design with large, padded ear cups
- Noise reduction rating (NRR) of 22dB
- Suitable for older children and teens
- It provides effective noise cancellation for background noise but may not be sufficient for highly sensitive children
- Available on Amazon for $26.99
- They are specifically designed with earbuds that play “acoustic shield” soundtracks for calming.
- Comfortable earmuffs for long-wearing use
- Not intended for complete noise cancellation but is useful in situations where white noise can support the child
- Helpful for activities like long bus rides
- Available through National Autism Resources for $139
- Soft foam-cushioned earmuffs with a noise reduction rating (NRR) of 27dB
- Exceptional at reducing distressing noises, such as thunderstorms
- Comfortable enough to be worn through the night
- Suitable for children and adults alike
- Available through National Autism Resources for $29.99
- Designed for infants and children up to 24 months
- Colourful headphones with a noise reduction rating (NRR) of 31dB
- Super-soft padding for delicate ears
- Ideal for blocking out intrusive noises like fireworks or music festivals
- Available on Amazon for $34.95
- Sturdy headphones designed for children
- It offers passive noise cancellation to help tune out extra sound
- Allows caregivers to get the child’s attention when necessary
- Provides a safe maximum volume level to protect young ears
- Available on Amazon for $99
- Colourful folding headphones with a noise reduction rating (NRR) of 27dB
- Features a padded headband for all-day comfort
- Compact and portable design for easy travel
- Suitable for infants and children of various ages
- Available on Amazon for $24.99
- Wireless headphones with a child-friendly design
- Lightweight and adjustable for a comfortable fit
- It provides up to 12 hours of battery life
- Features limited volume control for safe listening
- Available on Amazon for $49.95
- Premium noise-cancelling headphones suitable for older children and teens
- Active noise cancellation technology for optimal sound reduction
- Wireless Bluetooth connectivity for easy use
- It provides up to 20 hours of battery life
- Available on Amazon for $299
- High-quality noise-cancelling headphones for older children and teenagers
- Advanced noise cancellation technology for an immersive sound experience
- Bluetooth connectivity and touch controls for convenience
- Up to 30 hours of battery life
- Available on Amazon for $349.99
- Specifically designed for children with a comfortable fit
- Features passive noise reduction to minimise external sounds
- Adjustable headband and soft ear cushions for extended use
- Built-in volume limiting to protect young ears
- Available on Amazon for $18.99
Q: Are noise-cancelling headphones safe for autistic children to use?
Yes, they are safe for autistic children when chosen appropriately and used responsibly.
Q: Can noise-cancelling headphones completely block out all sounds?
Noise-cancelling headphones significantly reduce external sounds but may not block out all noises completely.
Q: How do I know if noise-cancelling headphones will fit my child comfortably?
Look for adjustable headbands, soft padding, and consider headphones designed specifically for children.
Q: Can noise-cancelling headphones be used during sleep?
Some children find comfort in wearing noise-cancelling headphones during sleep. Choose headphones designed for extended use and suitable for sleep.
Q: How do I choose the right noise reduction rating (NRR) for my child?
Consult a healthcare professional or audiologist for guidance based on your child’s sensitivity.
Q: Can noise-cancelling headphones help with sensory issues other than sound?
Noise-cancelling headphones indirectly address sensory issues by reducing auditory distractions.
Q: Any recommendations for wireless noise-cancelling headphones?
Bose QuietComfort 35 II and Sony WH-1000XM4 are suitable for older children and offer wireless features.
Q: Can noise-cancelling headphones be used in educational settings?
Yes, they can help minimise distractions and improve focus, but it’s essential to communicate with teachers and follow school policies.
Noise-cancelling headphones can benefit autistic children by minimising sensory overload, promoting focus and attention, providing a calming environment, and enhancing communication and social interactions. When choosing noise-cancelling headphones, parents should consider noise reduction rating (NRR), comfort and fit, durability and safety, and ease of use. These headphones offer various features and price ranges to cater to different needs. Overall, noise-cancelling headphones can be a valuable tool to create a more comfortable and focused environment for autistic children, improving their overall well-being and quality of life.